Hello everyone! Oh man, get ready. This recipe might just blow your socks off. It certainly did mine. It is so delicious, nutty, more-ish, malty, caramel-y and just scrumptious. Not to mention jam-packed with an incredible array of nutrients & superfood goodness.
I have especially chosen to use Maca & Ashwagandha in this recipe to highlight the adaptogenic benefits of these roots & herbs and to make getting these healing herbs & roots into your diet first thing in the morning fun and accessible. And, to do this through a familiar & loved medium: GRANOLA. I mean who doesn't love a good bowl of granola!?
During times of stress, increasing beneficial alternative remedies like these ancient adaptogenic medicinal plants that help to support us in our navigation of restoring balance of the mind, body & spirit is of utmost importance. (READ : ADAPTOGENS - OUR HERBAL ALLIES)
I used the Ashwaghanda and Maca from Aether Herbalist & Apothecary, an amazing local brand suppling very high quality healing tinctures, powders & all sorts.
But for a very brief synopsis on Maca & Ashwaghanda:
Ashwaghanda is an incredible herbal medicine used extensively in a variety of ancient healing modalities, but especially prevalent in Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medical system. It helps immensely in reducing stress, anxiety, and helps with fertility & is anti-inflammatory & has been said to increase energy levels & concentration.
Maca powder is also an adaptogen, and is personally one of my absolute favourite dietary add-ins EVER. Not only does it taste delicious, but it has a potent nutrient profile. It helps to boost energy & stamina, it helps in regulating hormonal balance & increases libido & fertility, it helps to improve mood, and helps to reduce stress & free radical damage in the body.
Then, of course the delicious and amazing Vanilla Sky Wazoogles protein powder which is also a powerhouse of nutrients & deliciousness. A perfect combo of lucuma, mesquite, pea protein, vanilla, chia seeds, maca & more.
I now make big batches of this on the weekend and it sees me through the week. Perfect for a quick, hearty & delicious breakfast. OR for the base of a trail-mix, or simply as a healthy snack just as is.
It also makes THE PERFECT GIFT. Tuck it into a jar, tie a bow around it & VOILA, love in a bottle.
• 2 1/3 cup of rolled oats
• 1/3 cup of dates, chopped
• 1/4 heaped cup of honey
• 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon of tahini
• 4 dried pears, chopped
• About 6 dried apple rings (optional but recommended!)
• 3/4-1 scoop Wazoogles Vanilla Sky protein powder
• 2 tsp Maca powder
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• Optional: 1/4 tsp powdered stevia (or a touch more honey) if you like it sweet, like I do.
• Big pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or grease it with coconut oil.
2. In a bowl place the rolled oats, the chopped dates, apple & pear, the salt & the powedered stevia. Mix.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil & honey just enough to melt the honey (don’t boil it). Pour this mixture over the rolled oats, add the tahini & the vanilla essence, mix well.
4. Place in an even layer on the baking tray & bake for 15 minutes. Take out & then pour over the Vanilla Sky protein powder, the Maca powder & the Ashwaghanda powder. It’s important to add the powders last so that they keep their nutrient profile intact (heat can destroy some nutrients). Mix well & once cool store in a jar.
5. TUCK IN & ENJOY!